1930 – 1940
|Mrs Gwenda Stewart in her record breaking Morgan with J.A.P. engine at Monthlery.During 1930 Mrs Gwenda Stewart broke the one hour Record at Monthlery at a speed of over 100 mph. She was later to achieve 117 mp.h. in a single seater Morgan on the long straight at Arpajon nearby.1931 brought a new model with three forward speeds and a reverse, a single chain and detachable wheels.The rugged strength of the Morgan and its excellent traction meant that it performed well on muddy hills when taking part in reliability trials.|
1933 “F” Super Two-seater with Ford 10 h.p engine
1933 was a vintage year for Morgan, bringing in its train a large number of world records and the advent of a new model fitted with a Ford engine. With its flat radiator this was the most popular three-wheeler ever produced and encouraged a number of firms to copy the idea.
In 1936, after a prototype had been tested in trials and on the track, a four-wheeler was exhibited at the London and Paris Exhibitions. The new model was called the Morgan Four Four to differentiate it from the three-wheeler, indicating four cylinders and four wheels. The car had a Z section full width steel chassis with boxed cross members and the body was an ash frame panelled in aluminium. The combination provided the durability of a coachbuilt car with the lightness required for a sports car. The car was an immediate success.
George Morgan, in top hat, wishing H.F.S. good luck on his record attempt
In 1937 H.F.S’s father Prebendary George Morgan died peacefully at home. Mr H.F.S. Morgan became Chairman and Governing Director and his board included Mrs H.F.S. Morgan. Mr George Goodall and Mr T.H. Jones who had been with the firm since 1912.
After the success of the Morgan Four Four roadster a four-seater was introduced, followed in quick succession by a Drophead Coupe in 1938.
The Four Four 4 seater.
In 1937 a few special sports models were built for racing fitted with 1098 c.c. Coventry Climax engines developing 42 b.h.p. with balanced crankshafts. Prudence Fawcett competed at Le Mans in 1938 and qualified for the Biennial Cup. White and Anthony again came first in class at Le Mans in 1939 and one of these cars was very successful after the war in the hands of Geoff Sparrowe in club racing.
The old association formed at the very beginning of the Morgan story was revived with the introduction of a Standard engine in 1938. This power unit developed from the 9 h.p. side valve engine, was specially built for Morgan at the express wish of Sir John Black. The new engine was linked to a Moss gearbox mounted centrally in the chassis and connected to the 5-1 rear axle by a short propeller shaft. The chassis were fitted with rod and cable 8″ diameter Girling brakes. Morgan continued to produce three-wheelers (mainly the F4 four-seater and F Super two-seater models) as well as four-wheelers.