1940 – 1950
Our Four 4 seaterIn this period some interesting experiments were made. A Ford 22 horsepower V8 Pilot engine was fitted to the Morgan chassis, which gave a most vivid performance. Due to a taxation increase from 15 shillings to 25 shillings per horsepower, this project was abandoned at the prototype stage. This second experiment was to fit a car with A Anott supercharger. This vehicle, although only 1000 cc. was capable of over 80 mph.During the Second World War car manufacture ceased and only two departments were retained by the Company for repairs. These were the Service shop and the Spares department. The remainder of the factory manufactured a variety of components for the war effort, which included parts for the Oerlikon anti-Aircraft gun, aircraft undercarriage and other precision engineering work.
Assembly of wooden chassis frameHalf way through the war the wood shop and mill was leased to the team developing in-flight refuelling. Sir Alan Cobham, who invented the process, modified a Handley Page “Hereford” Bomber at the factory to take on fuel whilst airborne.In 1945 many skilled employees came back from the Forces and rejoined the factory. Access to steel was difficult but the fact that the cars could easily be coachbuilt from aluminium helped Morgan become one of the first British car factories to resume building cars.
Reproduction of original Plus 4 catalogueProduction was restarted with the Four Four fitted with the 1267 cc. Special Standard engine.In 1947, after being demobilised, P.H.G. Morgan joined the firm as Development Engineer and Draughtsman.After the Government linked steel supplies directly with the number of export customers so there was increased pressure on the company to export. Distributors were appointed in the USA, Canada, South America, Australia, South Africa and Europe. The Four Four was successful in these markets but the three-wheelers did not enjoy this popularity and the decision to discontinue their production was made in 1950. The last twelve twin cylinder three-wheelers were manufactured in 1946 and shipped to Australia.In 1947 the announcement by the Standard Motor Co. of their “One Engine Policy” meant that no 1267 cc. Units would be available after 1949 and Morgan found it necessary to consider alternative power units. A prototype was built in 1949 with the Vanguard 1.8 litre engine, which gave a much-increased performance.