1950 – 1960

1952 – Winning Team of the R.A.C. International Rally.

1950 saw the production of this car as the Plus Four. The engine eventually fitted was the 2088 cc. Vanguard 68 bhp. Unit. The chassis frame was strengthened and a four-speed Moss gearbox and a Salisbury 4-1 rear axle was incorporated.

The Plus Four had immediate success in competition, with Morgan winning the team award in the RAC Rally in 1951 and 1952. H.F.S’s son Peter Morgan was a driver in both teams. These rally successes were to be repeated in 1990 when the Plus Four enjoyed a strong revival in classic car rallying.

  1956 – P.H.G Morgan and R.Meredith in final driving test at Hastings during M.C.C. National Rally

Front suspension was also strengthened with longer coil springs giving increased wheel movement. Larger nine-inch diameter hydraulic brakes were fitted. The body styles adopted were an open two-seater, a four seater and a Drophead Coupe. Due to its very high power to weight ratio the Plus Four also began to have many successes on the track.

Lessons learnt from racing were passed on to the production of the car offered to the public and Peter Morgan, the development engineer, regularly drove the cars in competition.

1957 – Plus Fours at Silverstone

In 1954 the radiator was hidden beneath the bodywork to improve aerodynamics and the following year the TR2 engine was fitted, raising the power to 90bhp.

  The prototype series Four Four

In 1954 the Morgan Four Four was reintroduced as the Series Two. This was a car of similar design to the Plus Four but fitted with a Ford engine and integral gear box, the object being to provide a sports car of first-class performance and appearance for the enthusiast with modest means.

During 1956 the TR3 engine was fitted to the Plus Four, increasing the power to 100 bhp. When built with lightweight aluminium bodies, these models were extremely fast, capable of covering the standard quarter-mile in 16 seconds. Plus Fours won many production sports car braces, particularly in the USA, where they dominated SCCS. Class D for many years. Lew Spencer was a familiar figure on the winners’ rostrum and his car “Baby Doll” built up a huge following. 11 inch disc brakes and knock-on wire wheels were fitted in 1957.

1957 – Plus 4 four-seater touring in Colorado, U.S.A

Morgan owner’s clubs expanded their membership throughout the 1950s. This helped make sure damaged cars were rebuilt and helped owners find original spare parts. As they say in America a Morgan may be “totalled” but will never be thrown away. In Britain the Morgan Three-wheeler Club formed by a small band of enthusiasts in 1945 grew in spite of the demise of the three-wheeler. The Morgan Sports Car Club formed in July 1951 with thirty members now claims a membership of over 3000. There are also national Morgan clubs in the USA, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal and it is possible to meet a vast network of friends simply by expressing an interest in the Morgan car.